Saturday 2 June 2018

A trip to Chiang Rai - Part 2


The main temple at Watrongkhun
23rd May 2018.Today, I wake up at around 3am and decide to fetch myself a cup of tea and some toast. I have been reading for around forty minutes when I hear April’s voice from the bedroom. At first, I think she has called for me but when I check, it is clear she has been talking in her sleep. I quietly draw the door to and when we take breakfast later that morning, I remind her of the conversation. She tells me she has visited the white temple again, and that the transition is instantaneous, accomplished this time without the assistance of her grandmother. As the imagery coalesces in her mind’s eye, she finds herself looking intently at the temple. An orange-robed monk who works as a tour guide offers to show her around. 

The main structure is bright and well-lit inside. The ceiling is painted red and is decorated with dragon motifs. There are two Buddha statues, only this time cast in gold. The first is male, slightly to the left of centre, around two or so metres high and situated on a raised platform. A piece of red carpet has been set in front, perhaps to enable people to pay respects. A picture of a golden Buddha is visible on the wall behind. A female figure is in a corresponding position on the right. The temple is wide, and can accommodate hundreds of visitors, she thinks. Then she wakes up unexpectedly as a bulbul from the pine tree opposite taps on the bedroom window and disturbs the delicate state. Today’s trip has lasted around five minutes. She has now completed a sketch and we agree to upload.

No comments:

Post a Comment